8 Protests and Community Control Worksheet
NOTE: Each of the following questions has noted a word-count at the end of each question.
Hundreds of protests have occurred over police shootings in the last several years, beginning most notably with the protests over the shooting of Michael Brown by police officer Darren Wilson on August 9, 2014 in Ferguson, Missouri. These protests have ranged from peaceful gatherings to full-scale violent riots complete with assaults on police officers and the burning of buildings and businesses. Research the details on at least three such protest events occurring between 2014 and today and answer the following questions. NOTE: You may use news sources but they must be credible and based on factual information—no articles that are purely personal opinion or speculative in nature.
Be sure to cite each of the three incidents in your responses.
1. What were the purpose of these protests? Were the protests conducted legally? (200-250 words)
2. What were the more prevalent complaints from protestors who took part in the demonstrations? (150-200 words)
3. What were the major safety concerns faced by officers during these protests? (150-200 words)
4. What were the end results of the protests / what action was taken by law enforcement, if any? (150-250 words)
5. Overall, how well do you believe police have handled this unprecedented amount of protests and riots in recent years? What, if anything, do you believe the police could do to improve the situation? Defend your response with scholarly research. (350-400 words)
Be sure to cite three to five relevant scholarly sources in support of your content. Use only sources found at government websites or those provided in Topic Materials.
While APA style is not required for the body of this assignment, solid academic writing is expected, and in-text citations and references should be presented using APA documentation guidelines, which can be found in the APA Style Guide, located in the Student Success Center.