1. Are you for or against capital punishment for persons convicted of first-degree murder? Is execution
of murderers a deterrent to crime? Is media publicity concerning such cases a deterrent to murder? Do
television shows and movies showing criminal violence contribute to such crimes? Would gun-control
laws deter murder?
2. An investigator is called to a murder scene by the
patrol officer at the scene. What are the duties and
responsibilities of the investigator? What activities
can be performed jointly by the patrol officer and
the investigator? Who is in charge?
3. Under what circumstances is a person justified in
using force against another person? When is a police
officer justified in using force?
4. What are your state’s laws regarding domestic assault? Is there a mandate or standard for arrest even
if the victim does not want to pursue charges?
5. If two people become involved in a violent struggle
that seriously injures one or both of them, and if both
claim the other started the fight, what do you do?
6. What myths and prejudices have you heard about
prosecuting rape cases? Are rape cases more difficult to prosecute than other crimes?
7. A case in Oregon received wide publicity because
a husband was charged with raping his wife during a temporary separation and was acquitted.
Do you agree with this verdict? If so, are there circumstances under which such a charge should be
8. How vigorously should sex offenses such as sodomy,
indecent exposure and prostitution be investigated?
Should unnatural sexual acts between consenting
adults be considered criminal acts?
9. In a robbery of a neighborhood grocery store, how
important is citizen information? Should a neighborhood check be made if the incident occurred
at 3 a.m.? How would you attempt to locate two
witnesses who saw the robber enter the store if the
owner does not know their names? How else could
you develop information on the robber’s description,
vehicle and the like?
10. If a robber takes a hostage inside a building, what
are immediate considerations? If the hostage situation is not resolved in the first 15 minutes, what
must be considered? Should a police officer offer to
take the hostage’s place? What might you say to the
robber to induce him or her to release the hostage?
To surrender after releasing the hostage?
11. Many people think of burglary and robbery as interchangeable terms. What is the principal difference
between these two offenses from an investigative
12. Is it legal to “steal back” your own property if someone has stolen it from you?
13. Is there a difference in the severity level of a burglary
if it is committed on an occupied residence rather
than an unoccupied one, such as a furnished rental
property that currently has no tenants?
14. Larceny has been called the most underreported
crime in the United States. What factors might account for failure to report larceny? Is there a way to
determine how many larcenies actually occur when
you consider shoplifting, bicycle thefts and minor
thefts of property that victims may regard as having
been simply lost or misplaced?
15. A man has been arrested for shoplifting and taken
to the police station for booking. During the search
for this offense, the police discover several credit
cards that are not issued in the name of the person
arrested. What offense is involved? Is there a separate offense from the original offense of shoplifting?
Can the person be tried on both offenses? What
procedure is necessary to prove the second charge?
16. How do juvenile and professional auto thieves differ
with regard to motive and type of vehicle stolen? Are
there different methods for locating each?
17. Does the value of the stolen vehicle affect the charge
made? The punishment?
18. Do you agree that investigating arson cases is the
joint responsibility of police and fire departments?
Which department should be in charge?
19. Arson has a low conviction rate. What factors make
an arson investigation difficult? What factors make
20. What agencies outside the police and fire departments can assist in an arson investigation? Who
would you contact? What services could they provide?