Assignment (Movie Review) Rain Man (3 pages)
1) For this assignment, you will watch Rain Man with a critical eye on the social construction of reality and illustrations of other sociological/cultural concepts.
2) Analyze the movie: After watching the movie, you will write a 3 page review, consisting of:
- a) 1 intro paragraph noting the relevance of the movie to the course
- b) 1 page description/summary of the contents of the film
-How was the story presented? i.e. flashbacks, sequential, from a particular character’s point of view, etc.
-What was the intention of the film and/or filmmaker? Was this intention fulfilled or met?
-Did the way the movie was produced and presented affect the content?
-Were there specific scenes or occurrences, which stood out as being essential to the development of the story and/or to your understanding of it?
-Major substantive points of the movie?
-Any secondary points made?
-Any ‘unintentional’ results of the movie?
- c) ½ page in which you discuss how popular culture themes were constructed in the movie use at least 3 examples
- d) 1 page in which you use at least 4 sociological/pop-cultural concepts covered in this course to analyze the movie (cite class materials as you do so)
- e) Analyze which issues emerged as the strongest…as the weakest?
- f) Briefly compare the popular culture themes in the movie you watched for this assignment to another movie you have previously seen that had similar themes.