Presentation tone, apa style, Introduction, body (include dialogue), conclusion, and reference page. Due by 5pm EST/NewYork
You are working at the veteran’s agency and your caseload includes men with PTSD. They are uniquely experienced in mortal combat. They recently returned from battle zones in Afghanistan and Iraq. Many of their friends have died in battle. Some wonder why they are still here and their friends are gone. Your boss has asked you to research verbal and nonverbal ways to help you communicate with these men and build a therapeutic alliance. He wants you to demonstrate communication styles through a role play presentation for all the therapists at the weekly staff meeting:
Assume the role of a counselor and address the following:
- What are two types of positive communication styles that the men will benefit from such as non-judging, attentive listening, validating feelings, compassion/empathy and open body language
- What is one type of communication style the men might not be receptive to such placating, authoritarian language, closed body language, and judging
- Include a summary statement of at least 2 reasons why each communication style is either acceptable or non-acceptable for this population.
- Write a hypothetical dialogue between the counselor and one of the clients with PTSD demonstrating the communication skills addressed. It should incorporate a minimum of two positive communication styles, and should also incorporate one type of communication to which the client is not receptive. It should be demonstrated how the counselor recognizes the client is not receptive, and address how the counselor would adapt the strategy in response.
- The communication between the client and counselor should be realistic and express non-verbal cues as well. The non-verbal descriptions can be expressed in italics with each person’s dialogue. References and citations should be in APA format.