Create a Tactical Plan for reducing crime in a specific jurisdiction in the greater metro area of Madison, WI
You will create a Tactical Plan for reducing crime in a specific jurisdiction in the greater metro area of Madison, WI.
Multiple police departments on the outskirts of Madison, Wisconsin have noticed an increase in theft in the areas near their police stations. The Police chiefs for Madison, Shorewood Hills, and Maple Bluff would like you to conduct an analysis to see if this trend is also occurring in the vicinity of Lake Mendota and to create a plan to reduce crime near the police stations.
Locate the address of the main police station for the Madison, Shorewood Hills, and Maple Bluff police departments. For each of the three police stations, do the following:
Access the LexisNexis Community Crime Map. http://communitycrimemap.com/
- Put the address of the police station into the “address bar” under Search Address.
- Check “Buffer” on; check “0.5 miles” under Buffer. Check “Only display events within the buffer.”
- Under the “Event” tab, select “Theft” only. If the type of Theft is not specified, infer the type of theft by following the steps below for more information:
- Go to Google Maps and put in the address of the crime, for “x” put in “0.”
- When the address appears, click on “Satellite map.”
- Zoom in on the building to determine what type of building it is and what type of neighborhood it is.
- This process will give you a clue as to the type of theft that occurred.
- For “Dates Range,” search the previous 6 months from today’s date.
- Access the Tactical Crime Analysis Matrix. You will need to record in the matrix, up to 10 incidents for each police station; be sure to choose those incidents closet to the police station.
- Use the results as the data for your Tactical Plan.
Complete the Tactical Crime Analysis Matrix using the data from the three police departments.
Complete the written prompt at the bottom of the Matrix document.
Be sure to cite three to five relevant scholarly sources in support of your content. Use only sources found at the GCU Library, government websites, or those provided in Topic Materials.
This assignment uses a scoring guide. Please review the scoring guide prior to beginning the assignment to become familiar with the expectations for successful completion.
While APA style is not required for the body of this assignment, solid academic writing is expected, and in-text citations and references should be presented using APA documentation guidelines, which can be found in the APA Style Guide, located in the Student Success Center.