Bachelor of nursing
Assessment: Critical Reflection on Scope of Practice (500 words) Students are required to write a 500 word critical reflection on their scope of practice as a nursing student.
In years one and two you have learned about reflection on practice. That is; you have learned to think reflectively about what you do in practice and have received feedback on this to support your learning. In this assessment you will be expected to reflect critically on your scope of practice as a nursing student. You need to access the NMBA Competency Standards for the Registered Nurse (2010) available from http://www.nursingmidwiferyboard.gov.au/Codes-Guidelines-Statements/Professional- standards.aspx. Please read Attribute 2.5: Understands and practices within own scope of practice.
Consider a clinical situation where you have had to question your scope of practice, and using The 5 R’s of reflection (Bain, Mills, Ballantyne & Packer, 2010) reflect on how you are developing in readiness for professional practice. For this assessment it is appropriate to use first person ‘I’ to describe how you responded to the situation and what you learned from it and ways that you can improve. In the rare occurrence that you have not had to question your scope of practice please reflect on Attribute 2.5 and describe how you would incorporate this competency attribute into your own practice as a nursing student.
Some examples for you to consider, how would you respond if you were asked to:
- • go to the medication room and collect paracetamol tablets for the patient you are looking after
- • work with the AIN and delegate nursing tasks
- • check blood products with one registered nurse
- • silence the IV pump alarm
There will be others that you could discuss from your own experiences. Remember this is your own reflection and you are to use references to justify the way that you will make improvements on your practice.
– Explained how and why future practice or professional understanding has been reconstructed
– Described how they would deal with this next time
– Elaborated on what might work and why
– Identified different options and/or scenarios and hypothesized possible outcomes – Explained how theories or relevant literature support their ideas
– Explored whether changes could be made to benefit other stakeholders
Credible and relevant references are used.
Accurate use of APA referencing style in all instances.
A range of in-text citations has been used.
References 3 to 4 not older than 2010
There are no errors with grammar, spelling and punctuation that impact readability, and the meaning is easily discernable. The reflection reads without interruption.