The College of St. Scholastica
Department of Healthcare Informatics and Information Management
HIM 2111: Assignment: Health Information Exchange Exploration
Suggested resources to start with:
HIE Powerpoint posted in class.
Read pages 385-395 in the textbook.
Health IT gov
Video: To the right of the screen:
Health Information Exchange | HealthIT.gov
Assignment – Submit as ONE document (Part 1 and 2):
- Define HIE.
- List some benefits of a HIE.
- Define and list an advantage/disadvantage for each HIE model.
- Centralized HIE architecture
- Decentralized/Federated HIE Architecture
- Hybrid HIE Architecture
- Health Record Banking HIE Architecture
- Define and give one example of these exchange methodologies:
- DIRECT Exchange
- Query –based Exchange
- Consumer Mediated Exchange
- List and explain two HIE initiatives that are currently going on in the United States.
- Identify two issues/challenges in health information exchange.
Write a 1-2 page paper (double-spaced) with a Reference list included (Use APA formatting).
- Using the State you have been assigned below, describe the progress made thus far in regard to health information exchange. Are there any current HIE initiatives in your assigned state? What is the structure of their HIE? What are the successes and/or barriers thus far? If there are no initiatives, why do you think that is the case? Is there something specific about this State that would make an HIE more or less successful?
Post a brief summary of what you learned about your assigned state in the DB posting for this week and respond to one classmate on what you found interesting about their particular state.
Assigned HIE States