The College of St. Scholastica
HIM 2111 – Security Breach Assignment
- Go to the website: https://ocrportal.hhs.gov/ocr/breach/breach_report.jsf and find a security breach that has happened in the past 12 months (the date of the breach is located in the spreadsheet.
- Conduct an Internet search on the breach that you selected to review.
- Find a minimum of 2 different sources that discuss the breach that occurred and answer the following questions regarding the breach.
Assignment Requirements (see grading rubric below for additional requirements)
Create a PowerPoint presentation and address and explain the following bullet points:
- Describe the breach that occurred and how many patients were impacted by the breach. Include the type of covered entity and the location.
- Describe specific information regarding the breach as far as the type of breach and the location of the breach.
- Describe the steps the organization took after the breach to mitigate the breach.
- Discuss 1 – 2 different ideas on how the organization could have done so that the breach didn’t occur.
- Discuss are 1-2 other mitigation steps that the organization could take to reduce the likelihood of a similar breach happening again. Examples: employee education or encryption of devices.
Slides should just be bullet point information.
In the notes section of each slide, write 1 – 2 paragraphs describing your slide.
Updated November 2021