Field Expert Interview Assignment Instructions
For this assignment, you will conduct an interview with a specialist in your school division (or one nearby) that would have a sound knowledge base of the topic that you are researching. It is preferred that the interview be conducted in person, but by phone will work also.
The purpose of this assignment is to help you develop interview skills that will help you in future research. Often, an interview with an expert and interviews in general are a central part of research methodology. The ability to write questions that elicit responses that are thoughtful and of some depth is a valuable skill. Use this assignment to hone that skill.
Before your interview, be sure to have 8–10 questions prepared addressing the topic you have chosen to study. Please be sure the questions are open-ended and encourage discussion.
As you are conducting the interview, you should focus on obtaining insight into the issue you have chosen and learning to network and collaborate with a colleague to discuss educational issues. Be open to asking follow-up questions that might not necessarily be planned in advance but that arise out of the answers from your interviewee. This will be especially helpful if your interviewees answers are not as detailed as you might like.
After the interview, you will type a summary in the template that includes the following:
- Introduction that includes information about the interviewee. Describe his/her position and why you feel he/she was a credible resource to recruit for the interview. How does he/she have expertise in the area that you are researching?
- Transcript that includes interview questions that you composed and the responses you received. Type your questions in bold font and type the responses in regular font.
- Conclusion that includes what you gained by participating in this activity.
The steps for the assignment are as follows:
- Schedule the interview.
- Prepare the questions.
- Conduct the interview in person or by phone.
- Utilize the template provided.
- Complete and submit the assignment.