Unit VIII Assignment
This assignment will allow you to demonstrate the following objectives:
- Compute the net present value, profitability index, and internal rate of return for a given company.
- Predict the best choice for a company based on analysis of financial data.
- Compute a company’s WACC using given percentages.
- Calculate the cost of capital of a stock.
- Computer the after-tax cost of capital for bonds.
Instructions: Answer the questions directly on this document. When you are finished, select “Save As,” and save the document using this format: Student ID_UnitVIII. Upload this document to BlackBoard as a .doc, docx, or .rtf file. Show all of your work.
1. The capital structure for Mills Corporation is shown below. Currently, flotation costs are 13% of market value for a new bond issue and $3 per share for preferred stock. The dividends for common stock were $2.50 last year and have an estimated annual growth rate of 6%. Market prices are $1,050 for bonds, $20 for preferred stock, and $40 for common stock. Assume a 34% tax rate.
|Financing Type||% of FutureFinancing|
|Bonds (8%, $1k par, 16 year maturity)||36%|
|Preferred stock (5k shares outstanding, $50 par, $1.50 dividend)||19%|
Compute the company’s WACC.
2. The Milton Company plans to issue preferred stock. Currently, the company’s stock sells for $120. Once new stock is issued, the Milton Company would receive only $99 (due to flotation costs). The dividend rate is 12%, and the par value of the stock is $100. Compute the cost of capital of the stock to your firm. Show all work.
3. The Dayton Corporation is considering a new investment, which would be financed from debt. Dayton could sell new $1k par value bonds at a new price of $950. The bonds would mature in 15 years, and the coupon interest rate is 10%. Compute the after-tax cost of capital to Dayton for bonds, assuming a 34% tax rate. Show work.
4. Farrah Corporation is considering two projects (see below). For your analysis, assume these projects are mutually exclusive with a required rate of return of 12%.
|Project 1||Project 2|
|Cash inflow Year 1||$230,000||$1,450,000|
Compute the following for each project:
- NPV (net present value)
- PI (profitability index)
- IRR (internal rate of return)
Which project should be selected? Why?