Read the Hypothetical Case Problem #1 at the end of Chapter 1 and respond to these questions:
- If Javier sued Energy-Auto Inc., identify who would be the plaintiff and the defendant.
- In which state or states can the suit be brought?
- Assume that Javier incurred $100,000 in damages.
- Analyze whether the suit can be brought in federal court
- Explain the advantages and disadvantages of federal versus state court for this type of suit.
Guided Response: Analyze and respond to at least two of your classmates’ postings by Day 7. Do you agree with their conclusions? Did the facts you considered important in determining jurisdiction differ from your classmates? Explain why or why not.
Carefully review the Discussion Forum Grading Rubric for the criteria that will be used to evaluate this Discussion Thread.
In Chapter 1 of the text you read about the Bailey v. Eminem defamation case where the court held Eminem’s lyrics were protected by the First Amendment. Read the article and view the video (the links are listed under Week 1 Additional Learning Resources Required and Week 1 Multimedia Required) to the Pahler v. Slayercase. Respond to the following questions:
- Did the Pahler court use the same reasoning as used in Bailey v. Eminem?
- Should the court’s decision in Pahler be different because a young girl was murdered?
- Recall the difference between a crime and a tort. Based on these two cases, analyze and discuss whether artists should be held liable for the actions of their fans.
Guided Response: Review several of your classmates’ postings. Do you agree with their analysis? Discuss with at least two of your classmates’ the ethical issues raised in this case and if you think the courts’ decisions in both Bailey and Pahler were correct. Respond to at least two of your classmates’ posts by Day 7.
Carefully review the Discussion Forum Grading Rubric for the criteria that will be used to evaluate this Discussion Thread