History of poor morale in nursing
Start by reading and following these instructions:
1. Quickly skim the questions or assignment below and the assignment rubric to help you focus.
2. Read the required chapter(s) of the textbook and any additional recommended resources. Some answers may require you to do additional research on the Internet or in other reference sources. Choose your sources carefully.
3. Consider the discussions and any insights gained from it.
4. Create your Assignment submission and be sure to cite your sources, use APA style as required, check your spelling.
Answer all questions in an essay of of between 1500 and 2000 words total. Please combine all essays into one APA formatted document with clear subheadings differentiating each essay. Your assignment should include at least two scholarly sources in addition to the textbook and provided materials.
- You are the nurse manager on a cardiac unit. The staff has a history of poor morale due to several reasons such as heavy workloads, demanding physicians, and increased staff turnover. More than half of the current staff have been there less than 1 year. One of your goals is to empower your nursing staff.
- How would you begin to empower your staff?
- Consider the three elements necessary in the empowerment process: professional traits of the staff, a supportive environment, and effective leadership. Of these things, what is in your sphere of control?
- What are some of the sources of power on this nursing unit?
- Identify why nurses would feel powerless and possibly transfer off the unit?
- Illustrate a recent group project (more than 2 people involved) that you participated in either through school or at your work which was challenging and required decisions. Answer the following questions:
- What was the goal of the group project? Was the goal attained?
- How effective was the group in arriving at the decisions? Identify some of the barriers that were present in the group setting.
- What techniques were utilized in the group decision making process?
- Explain everyone’s roles in the process and any meeting arrangements that helped the process.
- Describe the patient care delivery system at your work. How well does it work? If you could implement a new nursing care delivery system or combination for your area of work, what would it look like? Explain your rationale. As a nurse manager, what patient care delivery system would you prefer to work with and why? If you were a patient, what delivery system would be best and why?