Start by reading and following these instructions:
1. Quickly skim the questions or assignment below and the assignment rubric to help you focus.
2. Read the required chapter(s) of the textbook. Some answers may require you to do additional research on the Internet or in other reference sources. Choose your sources carefully.
3. Consider the discussion and any insights you gained from it.
4. Produce the Assignment submission in a single Microsoft Word or Open Office document. Be sure to cite your sources, use APA style as required, check your spelling.
Assignment: APA paper of 1500 words with 3 sources PLUS the textbook – required readings do not count towards sources.
Read the following articles from the ProQuest Library
- Responding to active shooters in hospitals. (2013). SecurityInfoWatch.Com. Retrieved from http://search.proquest.com/docview/1434488744?accountid=34574
- Balingit, M., (2012, Mar 09). Hospital shootings shock Oakland 2 dead, 7 injured at Western Psych; Police kill gunman in exchange of fire. Pittsburgh Post – Gazette. Retrieved from http://search.proquest.com/docview/926869011?accountid=34574
- Most hospital shootings are not preventable. (2013). Hospital Employee Health. Retrieved from http://search.proquest.com/docview/1282083457?accountid=34574
World wide web
- JACHO: http://www.jointcommission.org/issues/article.aspx?Article=h1wY0qOAjXjKMD9Np15aXCoh6JDFt4iaFxb%2f%2fTKfNWE%3d
1. Compare and discuss the information in these 4 articles (similarities, differences, surprises). Has your workplace prepared for an active shooter? What is your protocol? What preparations has your hospital taken? What is your responsibility as a nurse caring for patients? Do you feel a live active shooter drill should take place, with live gunfire? Why or why not?
2. Bullying in the nursing workforce has become an increasing topic of concern. Research this topic and describe reasons why bullying is a problem in nursing. Provide suggestions for a new nurse who is being bullied by coworkers. What is your responsibility if you see a fellow nurse being bullied? In regards to the questions for Module 8 assignment ;Please google Policy and Procedures for Carilion Clinic Active shooter go to policies -carilion clinic- va- search active shooter- then go to active shooter -Frontline Supervisor Newsletter then go to December 2015 active shooter- How to Respond. This should answer most of the questions. Also I googled “What is the responsibility of a nurse caring for patients during active shooter situation.” Read the article Planning and Response in a healthcare setting by St. Petersburg College. This should also help.
I spoke with a police officer from my hospital this morning and he said my hospital has prepared for a active shooter. There is education online for employees to read and how to react. If you want to go to cornerstone where the education is you go to Inside Carilion my username is lmrothgeb1, and password is Resourcern2. Under policies and regulations /policy and procedures. Click on EOP -active shooter annex.doc This should also help.. He also said they educate the staff by going to staff meetings. The responsibility of the nurse is of course is patient safety and try to secure, stop, and contain the shooter. He also said they have live active shooter drills with “blank ” simulation bullets for the active shooter drill. They collaborate with the Roanoke City Police Dept with this training and have since 2007. So the answer would be “Yes”” to this question.