ABC Construction (ABC or the “Company”), an SEC registrant, is a construction company that manufactures commercial and residential buildings. On March 1, 2018, the Company entered into an agreement with a customer, Village Apartments, to construct a residential apartment building for a fixed price of $1.5 million. The Company estimates that it will incur costs of $1 million to complete construction of the apartment building. The apartment building will only transfer to Village Apartments once the construction of the entire building is complete. In addition, Village Apartments has various design requirements that would require ABC to incur significant costs to rework the building prior to selling it to a customer other than Village Apartments.
To construct the apartment building, ABC acquires standard materials that it regularly uses in construction contracts for both residential and commercial buildings. These materials are used to manufacture generic component parts for inclusion in Village Apartments’ residential buildings. These standard materials remain interchangeable with other items until they are deployed in a Village Apartments building. The Company has made the following purchases and incurred the following costs throughout the construction progress:
• As of June 30, 2018, in total, ABC has purchased $75,000 of component parts. As of June 30, 2018, $25,000 of component parts remain in inventory and $50,000 have been integrated into the project. Further, ABC has incurred $12,500 of direct costs to integrate the component parts into the Village Apartments construction project during the three months ended June 30, 2018.
• During the three months ended September 30, 2018, ABC purchased an additional $500,000 of component parts ($575,000 in total). Of the $575,000 of component parts, $325,000 remain in inventory and $200,000 have been integrated into the project during the three months ended September 30, 2018. During the three months ended September 30, 2018, ABC incurred an additional $50,000 of direct costs to integrate the component parts into the Village Apartments construction project.
• As of September 30, 2018, ABC determined that the project was over budget and revised its cost estimate from $1 million to $1.25 million.
• As of December 3, 2018, the construction project was completed. During the three months ended December 31, 2018, ABC purchased an additional $425,000 of generic component parts ($1 million in total). Of the $1 million component parts, $0 remain in inventory and $750,000 were integrated into the project during the three months ended December 31, 2018. ABC has incurred $187,500 of direct costs to integrate the component parts into the Village Apartments construction project during the three months ended December 31, 2018.
If Village Apartments cancels the contract, ABC will be entitled to reimbursement for costs incurred for work completed to date plus a margin of 20 percent, which is considered to be a reasonable margin. ABC will not be reimbursed for any materials that have been purchased for use in the contract but have not yet been used and are still controlled by ABC.
1. Does the performance obligation meet any of the criteria or recognition of revenue over time?
2. How should the entity recognize revenue for the satisfaction of its performance obligation? What amount of revenue should be recognized for the following periods:
2a. The three months ended June 30, 2018?
2b. The three months ended September 30, 2018?
2c. The three months ended December 31, 2018?
Delivering a high-quality product at a reasonable price is not enough anymore.
That’s why we have developed 5 beneficial guarantees that will make your experience with our service enjoyable, easy, and safe.
You have to be 100% sure of the quality of your product to give a money-back guarantee. This describes us perfectly. Make sure that this guarantee is totally transparent.Read more
Each paper is composed from scratch, according to your instructions. It is then checked by our plagiarism-detection software. There is no gap where plagiarism could squeeze in.Read more
Thanks to our free revisions, there is no way for you to be unsatisfied. We will work on your paper until you are completely happy with the result.Read more
Your email is safe, as we store it according to international data protection rules. Your bank details are secure, as we use only reliable payment systems.Read more
By sending us your money, you buy the service we provide. Check out our terms and conditions if you prefer business talks to be laid out in official language.Read more