Alternate NAEYC Accredited Center Site Review Laboratory Assignment Information (50points)
Childcare centers must follow the Minimum Standards Rules if they are going to be operating in good status in the state of Texas. National Association for the Education of Young Children (NAEYC) has an accreditation procedure that has more stringent regulations for childcare centers. Houston Community College Child Development Program believes in quality care for young children and requires students to visit and complete a practicum assignment at NAEYC accredited centers.
Due to the COVID-19 situation, visiting childcare centers is not possible for most students. Therefore, we have developed this alternate practicum assignment for students to become aware of the NAEYC accreditation standards relating to our course.
For this assignment, you are to assume the role of a NAEYC Reviewer on a site visit, determining accreditation of a childcare center.
- Complete the NAEYC Accredited Center Checklist. Describe NAEYC expectations for each of the areas listed on the checklist that you would observe. Focus on Standard 5: Health and Standard 9: Physical Environment. The NAEYC Standards are found using this link: https://www.naeyc.org/sites/default/files/globallyshared/downloads/PDFs/accreditation/early-learning/standards_assessment_2019.pdf
- Write your one-page summary that includes:
- Reactions of your “visit” or to the NAEYC standards listed in the checklist.
- Comparison of information obtained from your textbook, other readings and in class discussions to the lab assignment. (How are they alike? How are they different?) There should be three-four comparisons.
- Include at least three-four changes you would expect to see centers make in order to accommodate the COVID-19 limitations that relate to our wellness (health, safe, and nutrition) class.
Save the file as 1318_lastname_NAEYC Center Observation. Upload the file into Canvas. Refer to the grading rubric for this assignment.