CLASS: TRENDS IN HEALTHCARE POLICY!
Nurse’s Role in Influencing the Legislative Process
In a Microsoft Word document of 2-3 pages formatted in APA style, you will answer three questions related to your opportunity as a nurse and an advocate. The first two questions relate to influencing a bill that is traveling through the legislative process. The third question refers you to the social determinants of health and asks you to think specifically on your role as a nurse in influencing social determinants of health.
Answer the following questions:
- What parts of the lawmaking process does a nurse have an opportunity to influence the final bill passage?
- List at least two ways that this influence can take place. In your opinion, would one way be preferable over the other?
- Reviewing the social determinants of health, select one to respond to this question:
- What role can nurses play in promoting health status through policy changes directly affecting this social determinant?
Write each question as a new topic area and then follow with a paragraph or two to answer the question. You may find it necessary to search for answers to the questions outside of the assigned reading.
On a separate references page, cite all sources using APA format.
MUST CITE, REFERENCE AND SUBMIT TO “TURN IT IN ” AND ATTACH COPY
Mason, D. J., Dickson, E. L., Perez, G. A., & McLemore, A. R. (Eds). (2020). Policy & politics in nursing and health care (8th ed.). Elsevier. ISBN: 9780323554985.
From your course textbook, Policy & Politics in Nursing and Health Care, read the following chapters:
- How Government Works: What You Need to Know to Influence the Process
- A Primer on Political Philosophy
- Frameworks for Action in Policy and Politics
- Policy and Political Competence