Class: TRENDS IN HEALTHCARE POLICY
Social Determinants of Health
Discussion Question – Due Thursday 11/4/21 – A reference and citation are required. Increasingly, health policymakers are becoming aware of the social determinants of health and the role they play in prevention disease and promoting health and wellness.
- In the “Frameworks for Action in Policy and Politics” chapter, examine Box 1-1 (Political Aspects of the Social Determinants of Health) and Figure 1-6 (The Who, What, Where, When, and Why of Nursing’s Policy Influence). Focus on the story about Lilian Wald’s work in New York City.
- Reflect on the “what” of Wald’s strategies. In your opinion, which did she use effectively? Looking further at the “what” in Figure 1-6, answer the following questions: Discuss at least three competencies/strategies that you have used effectively. Identify a competency/strategy that you don’t currently use and discuss how you might incorporate them into your advocacy toolbox.
MUST ANSWER ALL PARTS OF THE QUESTION ABOVE!!!! EACH PART, CAN NOT LEAVE ANY QUESTION OUT AND WILL BE CHECK!!
TEXTBOOK: Mason, D. J., Dickson, E. L., Perez, G. A., & McLemore, A. R. (Eds). (2020). Policy & politics in nursing and health care (8th ed.). Elsevier. ISBN: 9780323554985.
READING! MUST FOLLOW ABOVE TO READ AND ANSWER CORRECTLY :
- How Government Works: What You Need to Know to Influence the Process
- A Primer on Political Philosophy
- Frameworks for Action in Policy and Politics
- Policy and Political Competence
From the Internet, read the following:
- Campaign for Action. (n.d.). State action coalitions. Retrieved from https://campaignforaction.org/our-network/state-action-coalitions/
Visit the website for the Nursing Action Coalitions that have been engaged in implementing the four recommendations of the IOM report. Click on your state’s coalition’s activities.
- Hinton, E., & Artiga, S. (2018). Beyond health care: The role of social determinants in promoting health and health equity. Retrieved from
Read especially the following:
- Social Determinants of Health
- Health in All Policies
- Institute of Medicine. Summary. (2011). The future of nursing: Leading change, advancing health. Retrieved from https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK209872/
- U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration. (2014). SAMHSA’s concept of trauma and guidance for a trauma-informed approach. Retrieved from https://store.samhsa.gov/shin/content//SMA14-4884/SMA14-4884.pdf