Use of Psychosocial Theories in Nursing
Note: To access this week’s required library resources, please click on the link to the Course Readings List, found in the Course Materials section of your Syllabus.
McEwin, M., & Wills, E. M. (2019). Theoretical basis for nursing. (5th ed.) Philadelphia, PA: Wolters Kluwer Health.
- Chapter 10, “Introduction to Middle Range Nursing Theories”
Chapter 10 begins the exploration of middle range theories and discusses their development, refinement, and use in research.
- Chapter 11, “Overview of Selected Middle Range Nursing Theories”
Chapter 11 continues the examination of middle range theories and provides an in depth examination of a select set of theories.
Gray, J.R., Grove, S.K., & Sutherland, S. (2017). Burns and Grove’s the practice of nursing research: Appraisal, synthesis, and generation of evidence (8th ed.). St. Louis, MO: Saunders Elsevier.
- Chapter 6, “Objectives, Questions, Variables, and Hypotheses”
Chapter 6 guides nurses through the process of identifying research objectives, developing research questions, and creating research hypotheses.
This book chapter evaluates the use and significance of middle-range theories in nursing research and clinical practice.
This article describes how the Roy Adaptation Model (RAM) is used to guide nursing practice, research, and education in many different countries.
Jacelon, C., Furman, E., Rea, A., Macdonald, B., & Donoghue, L. (2011). Creating a professional practice model for postacute care: adapting the Chronic Care Model for long-term care. Journal of Gerontological Nursing, 37(3), 53-60.
This article addresses the need to redesign health care delivery to better meet the needs of individuals with chronic illness and health problems.
This article discusses the development of a middle-range nursing theory on the effects of music on physical activity and improved health outcomes.
McCurry, M., Revell, S., & Roy, S. (2010). Knowledge for the good of the individual and society: Linking philosophy, disciplinary goals, theory, and practice. Nursing Philosophy, 11(1), 42–52.
Note: You will access this article from the Walden Library databases.
Discussion: Use of Psychosocial Theories in Nursing
Post your responses to the Discussion based on the course requirements.
Your Discussion postings should be written in standard edited English and follow APA guidelines as closely as possible given the constraints of the online platform. Be sure to support your work with specific citations from this week’s Learning Resources and additional scholarly sources as appropriate. Refer to the Essential Guide to APA Style for Walden Students to ensure your in-text citations and reference list are correct. Initial postings must be 250–350 words (not including references)
Use of Psychosocial Theories in Nursing
In an interdisciplinary field such as nursing, differing perspectives often contribute to greater understanding and fulfillment of a patient’s needs. Take a minute to think about how this relates to the theoretical foundations of nursing. How do theories from various fields inform nursing practice?For this Discussion, you will explore how social and behavioral theories apply in a clinical setting by analyzing a case study.
- ·With information from this week’s Learning Resources in mind, reflect on the influence of sociological and behavioral factors on health.
- ·Read the case study of the woman admitted for a mastectomy presented on page 328, #3 of the course text Theoretical Basis for Nursing. Consider which concepts from sociological and/or behavioral theories could be used in nursing practice for addressing the patient’s health care needs. Conduct additional research as necessary using credible websites and the Walden library. Also consider how these theories are used in your own clinical practice.
By Day 3 post a cohesive response that addresses the following: Use of Psychosocial Theories in Nursing
- ·What concepts from the various theories could be used in planning the 65-year-old woman’s care?
- ·How might her care be changed if the woman were 25 years old or 45 years old?
- ·How have social psychology theories been used in promoting breast cancer awareness? Provide at least one example to support your response.
- ·How have social psychology theories been used in your clinical practice area? Provide at least one example to support your response.
Read a selection of your colleagues’ postings. respond to at least two of your colleagues in one or more of the following ways:
- ·Ask a probing question, substantiated with additional background information, evidence, or research.
- ·Share an insight from having read your colleagues’ postings, synthesizing the information to provide new perspectives.
- ·Offer and support an alternative perspective using readings from the classroom or from your own research in the Walden Library.
- ·Validate an idea with your own experience and additional research.
- ·Make a suggestion based on additional evidence drawn from readings or after synthesizing multiple postings.
- ·Expand on your colleagues’ postings by providing additional insights or contrasting perspectives based on readings and evidence.
Return to this Discussion in a few days to read the responses to your initial posting. Note what you learned and/or any insights you gained as a result of the comments made by your colleagues.