This assignment will combine some of the concepts presented to this point in the course. Consider the following types of leadership power as you respond to the following questions in a 6-9 page Microsoft Word document:
- Legitimate power
- Reward power
- Coercive power
- Referent power
- Expert power
- Which of the above types of power do you believe are most important in leadership? Why? Examine their importance with reference to the guidelines for each and the disadvantages for each type.
- Assess whether or not any of the above power types are essential to leaders in criminal justice. Provide a rationale for your assessment.
- In what ways do the above power types match up with the “Big Five” personality types? In other words, is it likely that a leader wielding “expert power” would have a particular “Big Five” trait?
- Describe what is meant by “management by walking around.” What does this process entail, and how can it be implemented in a criminal justice setting?
- Discuss the limitations and opportunities related to participative leadership in criminal justice agencies. Explain how this leadership method might legitimately be used in the criminal justice field, and where it cannot be successful.
Cite any sources using APA format on a separate page. Let’s learn how to cite sources using APA guidelines.
Name your document SU_MCJ6405_W3_A2_LastName_FirstInitial.doc and submit it to the Submissions Area by the due date assigned.