Your memorandum should include the following critical elements
Overview: In a journal assignment, reflect on discretion in discrimination, criminal investigation, and use of force. Refer to this week’s reading for information on discretion.
First, give an example of an actual event where you believe discretion was poorly used by the police or corrections officer and give an example of when you believed discretion was used correctly. Please back up your evidence from the text or outside sources.
Next you will reflect on the use of discretion in your selected case study. Consider the guiding bullet points related to your case study as you reflect on the use of discretion.
The purpose of this journal assignment is for you to reflect on your selected case study and the use of discretion. This will help you analyze the actions of the case study and begin to think about recommendations to improve leadership in your selected case study. Journals are private between the student and the instructor.
Prompt: Your memorandum should include the following critical elements:
- Describe an example of an actual event where discretion was poorly used. Explain why you think it was poorly used.
- Describe an example of an actual event where discretion was correctly used. Explain why you think it was correctly used.
- Reflect on how discretion was used and should have been used in your selected case study using the appropriate guiding questions listed below:
The Flawed Emergency Response to 1992 LA Riots
- Discuss some of the mistakes that were made in the police response that may have led to further unrest.
- Explain how you believe discretion should have been used in this situation and what law enforcement can learn from this event in order to build trustbetween the community and law enforcement.NYPD New
Explain how you believe discretion should have been used in this case study and what law enforcement can learn from this event in order to build trust between the community and law enforcement.
Guidelines for Submission: Submit assignment as a 4–6 paragraph Word document with double spacing, 12-point Times New Roman font, one-inch margins, and use appropriate APA citations.